These have a similar taste to “ants on a log” but a few extra yummies thown in and in the shape of a ball for an easier way to pack them up and take them with you! These may be my new favorite food group! Yum! The addition of celery to these snack balls helps to counteract the damp nature of seed butters and dried fruits. By dampness(Chinese medicine term) I mean promoting water retention and bacterial/fungal growth in the body. I have had a problem with acne since about 13 years of age and have found several foods to help keep acne at bay. Acne is usually caused by heat and dampness in the body so the best way to fight it is to eat cooling and drying foods low in animal fats (except seafoods). Here are my top acne fighting foods I have found:
1. Mung beans-Clears toxic heat in the blood, and is anti inflammatory.
2. Aduki beans (small red beans)-Clear dampness and help regulate kidney function.
3. Celery- Clears damp heat in the body, helps remove water retention.
4. Lemon water– Detoxifies the liver, alkalizes the body, clears dampness.
5. African rooibos tea– Contains antibacterial properties ( decreasing dampness) and anti inflammatory properties.
Veggie snack bites
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
2 stalks celery finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely grated carrots
3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons golden raisins (or regular)
3 tablespoons goji berries
3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1 tablespoon honey or maple (or 1 packet stevia)
shredded coconut (for rolling in)
pinch of sea salt
* Mix together ingredients except for the coconut shreds
* Roll the mixture into balls and roll though shredded coconut to make them less sticky.
* Enjoy! Cheers to good health!
This recipe is also seen here http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/gluten-free-wednesdays-2-5-14/ here http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2014/02/06/whole-food-fridays-2-7-2014/ and here http://www.rickiheller.com/2014/02/wellness-weekend-february-6-9-2014 with many other yummy gluten free recipes.