I came across this idea by accident this last weekend while we were on vacation. We were staying at my mother-in law’s place and I was making myself some oatmeal and trying to figure out what to put in it to give it some pizzazz. What I used at the time was hazelnut coffee creamer, cinnamon, cloves with some maple syrup. It’s my new favorite oatmeal flavor! I think I have made it 4 times in the past week!
Toasted hazelnut and chai spiced oats
1 cup steel cut oats
3/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon earth balance butter
* Toast the hazelnuts with 1 teaspoon earth balance/butter on medium for abouts 10-15 minutes until lightly toasted.
* Toast the oats with 1 tablespoon of earth balance/butter for about 10 minutes until lightly toasted then cook them in water for about 10 minutes. I let them come to a boil then took them off the burner.
* Chop the toasted hazelnuts and mix in a bowl together with the spices, vanilla and maple syrup.
* In a jar put a layer of the hazelnut mixture then a layer of the slightly watery oats, then a layer of raisins, then another layer of the hazelnut mixture.
* Let sit over night in the refrigerator and warm in the morning and eat! I would add a little coconut milk or other nondairy milk to make it extra creamy.
* Makes 1 large or 2 small servings
*This recipe can also be seen at http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2014/06/30/gluten-free-diy-tuesday-7-1-2014/ along with many other delicious gluten free recipes.