Happy New Year! Here is a great way to start off the new year! Time to cleanse out all of those holiday goodies and excess winter weight. Another perfect addition to cleansing smoothies and juices is to add probiotics like sauerkraut , kefir, or kombucha to your daily diet. Flaxseeds and chia seeds are also awesome foods to keep your digestion moving and inflammation levels down. Just be sure to drink extra water to help the extra bulk keep flowing through your system!
Something that I do especially in the dry winter months to give me energy,decrease inflammation, help digestion and build my yin levels (the watery fluids in your body needed to be healthy) is to mix some nonfat yogurt or kefir with equal amounts fresh ground flaxseeds(or flax oil) and add a pinch of turmeric and spirulina. This is based on the Budwig diet and is also used to fight cancer and other degenerative diseases so it can not only fight them it can also help prevent them as well. It supposedly is a magical combination of a nonfat sulphur protein (yogurt/kefir/quark) and flax oil . I don’t normally eat dairy because of the effects on my skin and overall health but this is the exception to that rule because I only take it in very small amounts (1/4 cup per day) and I feel really great when I eat it. I can literally feel all the cells in body thanking me and giving me the energy that I need – similar to that first few sips of coffee;)
Below I listed some of the benefits of the ingredients of my New Years cleansing smoothie:
- Grapefruits-High in vitamin C, bioflavanoids, and potassium. Are an antiseptic, fever reducer, and helpful for fatigue. Grapefruits contain quinine which has a long history of being used as a treatment for Malaria, as well as arthritis and leg cramps.
- Grapes-Resveratrol a flavanoid in red and purple grapes reduce the body’s ability to store fat by about 130%. It also lowers blood pressure by improving the dilation of blood vessels. Resveretrol protects against brain damaging free radicals to improve brain health. Grapes are anti inflammatory and lower blood sugar in the body.
- Cilantro-Powerful cleansing herb which cleanses toxins and heavy metals from the body. Cilantro is also anti inflammatory and promotes healthy liver function.
- Apples-Protects against cancer, alzheimers, parkinsons disease, lowers cholesterol, prevents gallstones by preventing the build up of cholesterol in the body. The fiber in apples help detox the liver by keeping the digestive system moving so toxins are flushed out of the body.
- Celery-Potent anti inflammatory especially of the digestive tract, protects against damaging effects caused by eating fried foods, lowers blood pressure by relaxing the smooth muscles surrounding the vessels allowing them to expand.
- Ginger- Strong anti inflammatory effects, gastrointestinal relief/digestive aid, helps with nausea, protects against colorectal cancer by inhibiting growth of cancer cells. Ginger kills ovarian cancer cells by apoptosis (programmed cell death) and autophagocytosis (self digestion). Ginger promotes sweating which is good for fighting a cold or fever.
New Year cleansing smoothie:
1 grapefruit peeled
1 1/2 cups grapes
1 large stalk celery
1-2″ chunk fresh ginger
handful fresh cilantro
about 3 cups filtered water
*Cheers to good health!*