For breakfast today I had a big bowl of chia breakfast pudding. I have been working out a lot lately so I need to give my body some extra nourishment. Chia seeds are a great source of many minerals such as iron and magnesium and along with flax seeds they are the best plant source of omega 3 fats( the anti inflammatory fat) . You can do so much with chia seeds such as: adding them to water or juice for a great electrolyte thirst quencher, dairy free puddings, smoothies, use them as egg replacers in baking, and adding them to cereals or oatmeal.
Chia breakfast pudding
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup coconut milk
15 drops vanilla stevia
handful of goji berries (or other berries)
handful of cashews( or other nuts or seeds)
Mix ingredients together, and if you like it more soupy just add more water or milk. The chia seeds will expand about twice to 3 times their size within a matter of a few minutes.
For lunch today I had some of my favorite korean sushi from the asian market along with some red dates. I usually try to get to the asian market about once a week to get my some of my staples such as: seaweed, coconut milk, thai and chinese food condiments, tapioca flour, and red dates. I will post my recipe for my version of the korean sushi soon. If you look at the ingredients list to most of the pickled items that go in sushi almost every one has MSG, food coloring, aspartame, and other things that should not be edible. I also made some green juice from my juicer-here’s what I put in:
Green energy juice
handful kale (about 6 leaves)
handful of cilantro
3″ chunk ginger
10 drops vanilla stevia
I also dilute my juice with water 1:1 ratio so I can have some through out the day.
For dinner I made some cod fish sticks with pumpkin seed batter, rosemary roasted carrots and a green smoothie. I thought the fish sticks were good but the kids weren’t too excited about them so I ‘m going to keep working on that one until it gets the kid approval. They definitely approved of the strawberry chocolate ice cream cake I made for desert thought. I couldn’t keep their little hands of of the thing, they were like wild vultures fighting over it( although they fight over everything so that’s just the norm for this house)
strawberry chocolate ice cream cake (vegan)
strawberry ice cream:
1 1/2 cups coconut cream
2 cups strawberries
3 tablespoons maple syrup
35 drops vanilla stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup ground sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon ground coconut shreds
1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
4 tablespoons of melted chocolate chips
6 soaked red dates
* Use your ice cream maker as directed to make the ice cream to soft serve texture.
* Line a bowl with a plastic bag (to avoid sticking). I used compost bags for this.
* Slice strawberries around the the inside edge of the bowl.
* Pour ice cream to fill the bowl.
* Add a few strawberries to the ice cream (push them under so they are covered with ice cream)
* Freeze for about 1 hour
* While ice cream is freezing mix together cake ingredients and make a round “cake” about 2-3″ thick on a plate and refrigerate.
* When the ice cream is solid combine the ice cream and the cake and top with crushed chocolate chips. Let thaw for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
* Makes about 6 small servings or 4 regular servings. (very rich, I would suggest eating small servings!)
This recipe can also be found here http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2013/05/02/whole-food-fridays-5-3-2013/ along with many other yummy recipes!