In chinese medicine spring is a time to focus on the health of your liver. It is the time to eat the lightest foods so your liver has a chance to cleanse and naturally detox itself. It is a time to give attention to our true self expression and creativity. Some of the first signs of the liver being imbalanced is emotional instability, depression, and lethargy. Foods that naturally assist the liver in cleansing are raw fruits and vegetables and eating a diet low in: meat, sugar, dairy, spicy foods and refined carbohydrates. Anger is also damaging to the liver and vice versa- the imbalanced liver can cause anger/short temper. The liver is the body’s filter and filters out the toxins from diet and keeps them from entering the blood stream. In chinese medicine the liver is said to be in charge of blood storage and helping to aid in circulation of blood to the entire body. The liver is said to be connected to the eyes and if imbalanced can cause night blindness, dry and red eyes. Some other signs relating to to liver imbalance are: indigestion, insomnia,anxiety, menstrual problems, tinnitus, stroke, and dizziness. For more info go to this site http://www.yinyanghouse.com/practitioner_members/general-acupuncture/my-liver-what
1. Apples-cooling and astringent; prevents and softens gall stones helps body remove cholesterol, radiation and toxic heavy metals.
2. Lemons-cooling and astringent; a natural anteseptic and antimicrobial in the body, resolves mucus in mouth and digestive system, cleanses blood, assists digestive processes.
3. Beets- neutral thermal nature;improves circulation,purifies the blood, detoxes the liver, helps with liver stagnancy, promotes healthy menstruation.
4. Carrots-neutral thermal nature;improves liver functions, stimulates waste elimination, provides food for healthy bacteria, dissolves stones and tumors, clears acidic blood, treats indigestion.
5. Fresh garlic in small amounts-pungent/warming; promotes circulation,removes stagnant food, inhibits viruses and unfavorable bacteria,eliminates toxins and heavy metals from the body. Too much can damage the stomach and liver.
6. Fresh vegetable juices- assist the liver in detoxing, assist elimination processes, provide the body with easily absorbed vitamins and minerals.
7. Curry/turmeric- pungent;assist liver to detox, helps move a stagnant liver, anti inflammatory, anti microbial and anti viral.
8. Cruciferous veggies- rich source of sulphur which helps to purify the body and remove blood stagnancy.
9. Fresh ginger-warming nature;assists with digsestion, anti-inflammatory, and helps dissolve mucus in the body.
10. Flaxseeds-laxative, anti-inflammatory, strengthen immunity, helps clean heart/arteries, rich in omega 3 fatty acids.