There are some interesting statistics that came out of a book called The China Study by T. Colin Cambell. A comparison of the dietary practices of the Chinese and Americans.
* American women have 5 times the risk of dying from heart disease than chinese women.
* The average Chinese eats mammal meats only 1-2 times per month.
* The Chinese eat fish whenever possible.
* 90% of the protein consumed in China is from plant sources.
* 70% of American protein comes from animal sources.
* American women take in twice the dietary calcium but have much higher rates of bone loss than Chinese women.
* Americans eat 70% less fiber than the Chinese do on average.
* The chinese eat 1/2 the fat that Americans do.
It looks like we need to heavily decrease animal products except for fish and eat mostly plant foods!